Thursday, March 20, 2008

March 20, 2008

101_0296
"Attention Kmart shoppers:  Blue Light Special on isle 4"

101_0297
Katie was under special blue lighting today to help knock out the jaundice.  Katie was OK with the idea, and Julie and I had to wear special glasses to protect our eyes.

101_0301
Didn't I see this on Star Trek?

101_0302 101_0304
Mom's taking the temperature.

101_0306
Julie had her first skin-to-skin contact with Katie today, as part of "Kangaroo Care".  This natural treatment for preemies is growing in popularity as physical, skin-to-skin contact with mom and dad has been found to promote all sorts of hormonal reactions that benefit the baby. More can be found here.  You can't really see her, but she's in there.

101_0309
Peek-a-boo!  We were feeding at this time, so feeding + being held skin-to-skin by mom = a very content baby.

101_0311
Then it was my turn.

101_0312
Katie says, "Kitty!"  I loved this also, and could have done it all day.  Soon, Julie and I will both be able to.  We can't wait.

Katie continues to improve, and is pretty much on schedule.  They are hoping her PICC line can come out in a day or two, and she is breathing room air for the fist time (no oxygen supplement).  She still has the tubes in her nose to help the lungs.  Other issues persist, but Katie is not suffering from anything that is out of the ordinary for a preemie.

No comments:

Post a Comment