Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The morning before Julie and I came home.

I think the term is "shell shocked". Whatever it was, we felt it as we drove home today, putting physical distance between us and Katie for the first time. Each night prior, Julie was at least in the same building with her. Not so tonight. The lump in our throats is still strong. The world seemed different coming home. The buildings were the same, but they looked more threatening. I told Julie I wish they could all be painted pink and covered with soft fluffy bunnies or something. Steel and cement seem so harsh now.

Katie_03-18-08 (1)
Katie is progressing well. You can see from the pictures today that she has graduated to the next less-intrusive air hose. Her lungs are fully formed, but they are weak and are becoming stronger. Her jaundice is to be expected and the bright light helps her skin get rid of it until her liver and digestive system can take over.Katie_03-18-08 (4) Katie_03-18-08 (5) Katie_03-18-08 (6)
Julie held her again. It's trying for her, but as you can see, Katie doesn't seem to mind.

Katie_03-18-08 (8) Katie_03-18-08 (12)
I held her for the first time today, and realized that time seemed to stop. Nothing else mattered.

Katie_03-18-08 (14)
You can see the size difference of her head and my hand.

Katie_03-18-08 (15)
Just a few CCs of formula.

Katie_03-18-08 (17)
She had her first feeding today. The nurse fed her a special formula meant to increase her calcium levels. Katie needs to master the suck-swallow-breathe reflex, something she didn't quite get yet today. That's expected though, and in time she will get it. Maybe in another week or so.  Thank you for the continuous prayer and support. We need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment