On the morning of September 19th, we awoke bright and early to cheer on Steve as he competed in the Long Beach Triathlon. Julie and I have never attended a run/race/sporting event like this, so even though we parked our car before sun up, participating as spectators was a real treat.
The event was a 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile cycle, 3 mile run.
Katie didn’t mind the early morning. Any excuse to ride in her stroller is fine with her.
The morning was cool, foggy, and great for running.
Grandpa and granddaughter.
The athletes making their way to the start.
Dad and daughter (with a certain granddaughter poking her head out of the stroller).
Around the first buoy in the half-mile swim.
There were plenty lifeguards and rescue craft on hand.
“I know Grandpa’s out there somewhere.”
More buoys in the foggy distance.
The first group making their way out of the water.
In between the swim and the run was the 11 mile cycle. Unfortunately the main spectator viewing area didn’t allow for any pictures of the cycling.
Only about a mile and a half to go!
Julie and I are both so proud of Steve’s accomplishments. Not many people can say that someone in their family completed a triathlon. This was a very big day and I was proud to be a part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment